Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Just call me Lassie....

After a long day's work, all you want is to sit down to a nice comforting meal. I live across the street from my grocery store, so in the evenings, I'll usually run in and get the essentials. I use to walk through the grocery check out line with an arm full of organic treats and kashi snacks. You know you're financially stable, when your grocery cart is full of fresh veggies, fresh hand cut fish filets, delicate pieces of fruit to dip in greek yogurt...a nice bottle of wine. ( Maybe a fresh loaf of bread from the bakery)....nice herbal teas, flavored coffee creamer.

Anyways, I was perusing the grocery store, enviously starring into other people's carts. I opened my wallet, just to make sure I still had my three dollars in quarters. So many choices, will I have ramen noodles, a can of tuna, or some vegetarian baked beans, or dog food? I am not going to lie, canned filet mignon does sound tasty. I put the beans in my basket, but secretly I was gazing and longing for the dog food.

This is when I realized, I have hit a new low. I am fantasizing about the taste of the sauce that glazes dog meat that is squeezed into a can. I decided to get myself under control, I will not eat dog meat. I grab the canned beans and left in a furious wind of hunger. The whole way to the exit door, the divine dog meat tempting and arousing my taste-buds.

I go to the gym to distract my hunger pains. I imagine myself on the side of the street with a sign that reads, " feed me" and people throw dog food at me, they think they are insulting me, but on the inside I am smiling. I smile because I am so happy to have meal, so happy that someone cared.

While I am running my little hungry body to starvation, I look up at the TV screen. It's the same dog food appearing in a commercial! It looks so tastey, the way it lays in that dog bowl. The way veggies are all mixed in with the meat. I am jealous of this dog. Not only does this dog have my acting career in commercial work, he is eating all the food he wants. He didn't do anything, except he was born a dog. I went to college to do what this damn dog is doing. And, the dog is eating better than me.

I didn't know rather to cry or laugh that I was jealous of lassie. I wonder if that dog has headshots, or a reel that he worked on forever. NO, cause that's silly. Nobody expects a dog to do work, all they need to do is show up.

If I was born a dog, I'd be the best dog ever. I'd let you love on me whenever you wanted. I'd eat and eat, and I'd always greet you when you came home with a smile. Not to mention, I'd make sure I was in every commercial. YOu would try and play fetch, and I would run to the studio instead. I would act all confused, how lost puppies do. But, I would know exactly where I was and what was going to happen next. I would accidently run into the studio. Accidently throw myself in front of the rolling camera, and hello new and improved lassie.

But instead I was created to be this girl that looks like every other ingenue, except the other ones can sing. And, the other one apparently can find survival jobs. Oh, the dogs and the actresses with their good food and commercial work.

I will be that dog one day, I know it!

1 comment:

  1. You know the saying...." If you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes." You'll be the lead dog one day;-)

    ReplyDelete